Tuesday 3 June 2014

Safe Confinement

My safe confinement started on 11-April-2014. I was given the first tablet to induce pain in the afternoon when I got admitted. The tablet would start the delivery pains in 24-48 hours.

Interestingly, nothing happened. I was as happy as a lark without the delivery pains. We waited for two whole days and still I had no pains at all.

On the fourth day, early in the morning at 6 AM, I was given another pain inducing tablet. Still nothing. I was then sent for an ultrasound test, which revealed that the baby's position was horizontal, and the cervix had not dilated at all.

I was still given another tablet for pains. By that time, I had become a fun object for the doctors there. even with three tablets, I had no pains at all. Finally our doctor told us that it they had given the whole dose of medicine for inducing pain for the day and they could give no more. The doctor also mentioned that if pains started in the evening or night, they may be too strong because of the three tablets. At that time, it could take time for the doctor to come and complications could arise.

We decided to go for c-section immediately and not wait any longer. At around 3 PM we took the decision. Withing half an hour I was rolled into the operation theatre (OT). By 4.30, I was back in the recovery room, already a mother, my baby safely ensconced with all the doting grandparents and mavshi. It was that quick.

In the safe confinement, there are a few things that may happen. You may start getting some cold because of the weather or airconditioning. Talk to your doctor if the doctor doesn't realize that. Get some medicines for the cold so that it does not worsen.

The other important thing that happens is...the pain inducing tablets reduce your milk flow. You are never told about it. No doctors tell about that. However, that is most likely to happen and it is best that you talk to the paediatrician to help feed your baby better, probably with some top feed.

C-section could also mean not being able to move from the bed for two days. That will limit your movements and you may also not be able to hold your baby for long. The saline drip becomes a problem as you handle the baby. You must check on the needle that's pierced for the drip. There's always a possibility of the drip going 'out.' Be careful while handling the baby.

And in all this, don't forget to marvel at the bundle of joy that was growing inside you and now has entered the world. it's going to make your world all the more beautiful. Cherish that!

2 comments: